Effective Date: [Jan 3rd, 2019]
Click on one of the links below to jump to the listed section:
- Information We Collect
- How We Use the Information
- Information We Collect by Automated Means
- Information We Share
- Your Rights And Choices
- Data Transfers
- Children's Privacy
- How We Protect Personal Information
- Links To Other Websites
- How To Contact Us
We may obtain personal information about you from various sources. We may collect this information when you provide it on our website, via our social media pages, or in connection with our social networking or mobile applications, or at one of our events. When you visit this site, our pages on social media platforms, or our social networking or mobile applications, we may also collect certain information about your device or usage by automated means or by using technologies such as cookies, web server logs and web beacons.
You may choose to provide personal information to us in a number of ways, such as when you participate in an offer or promotion, or when you make a purchase on our site. The types of personal information you may provide to us includes:
- Contact information (such as name, postal address, email address, and mobile or other phone number)
- Age and date of birth
- Username and password
- Payment information (such as your payment card number, expiration date, delivery address, and billing address)
- Purchase history
- Product preferences
- Your physical characteristics and skincare concerns
- Contact information for friend(s) or other people you would like us to contact
- Content you provide (such as photographs, videos, reviews, articles and comments)
Information provided to us when you visit our social media pages or use one of our social networking or mobile applications (such as your name, profile picture, likes, location, friend list and other information described on the social media network or application sign-up page, or your geo-location details when using one of our mobile applications)
It is voluntary for you to provide your personal information to us, but certain services and promotions may not be available to you if you do not provide your personal information.
We may use the information you provide to:
- Send you promotional materials or other communications
- Provide requested information and services to you
- Process your payment and/or gift card transactions
- Create and manage your online account, including access to your purchase history
- Assist with product selection and replenishment
- Respond to your inquiries
- Tailor ads on our website and elsewhere to your interests and history with us
- Communicate with you about, and administer your participation in, special events, contests, sweepstakes, programs, surveys and other offers
- Operate and communicate with you about our social networking
- Operate, evaluate and improve our business (including developing new products and services; managing our communications; analyzing our products; performing data analytics; and performing accounting, auditing and other internal functions)
- Comply with applicable legal requirements, relevant industry standards and our policies
We also may use the information in other ways for which we provide specific notice at the time of collection.
If you provide us with your personal information, we intend to use it for direct marketing purpose to offer or advertise the availability of our goods and/or services. However, we may not use your personal information for such purpose unless we have received your consent to our intended use.
All types of personal information listed in the section “Information You Provide” above may be used by us in direct marketing if you provide such information to us and you consent to such use. In such event, we may market the following classes of goods and services directly to you using your personal information:
- Beauty and skincare products;
- Hair care and hair styling products;
- Hair dye;
- Perfumes, scents, aromas, deodorants, home fragrance and candles;
- Shampoo, conditioners and cleansers;
- Tea and teabags;
- Special events, contests, sweepstakes, programs and surveys; and
- Any other products or services offered by us.
If you do not wish us to use your personal information in direct marketing, you may opt out of our direct marketing at any time by following the procedures set out in the section “Your Rights and Choices” below. We must, without charge to you, cease to use your personal information in direct marketing if you so require.
We will use the personal information supplied by you for direct marketing only in accordance with the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance (Cap. 486 of the Laws of Hong Kong) (“Ordinance”). Our direct marketing materials may come in several forms, including but not limited to marketing emails and text messages, the details of which are set out in the following sub-sections.
When you visit this site or our online advertisements (including our advertisements on third party websites) or use one of our social networking or mobile applications we collect certain information about your usage or device by automated means or by using technologies such as cookies, web server logs and web beacons. For example, if you use one of our mobile applications, we may collect your unique device identifier (or other device identifier) and/or geolocation data in order to offer you certain features or functionalities within that mobile application. As set forth in more detail below, we may also collect information about your usage and browsing habits using various web-based technologies.
• Cookies: “Cookies” are small bits of information that are placed on the hard drive of your computer. Cookies remember information about your activities on the site to make your visits to our website more enjoyable and valuable to you by providing a customized experience and recognizing your preferences when you visit our website. If you've chosen to disable cookies on your browser, some of the functionality of our website may be lost.
• Flash Cookies: “Flash cookies” (also called Local Shared Objects or “LSOs”) are data files similar to cookies, except that they can store more complex data. Flash cookies are used to remember settings, preferences, and usage, particularly for video, interactive gaming, and other similar services.
• Web beacons, clear pixels, or pixel tags: “Web beacons” are small graphic images on a Web page or in an e-mail that can be used for such things as recording the pages and advertisements clicked on by users, or tracking the performance of e-mail marketing campaigns.
• Web server logs: Web server logs are records of activity created by the computer that delivers the webpages you request to your browser. For example, a web server log may record the search term you entered or the link you clicked to bring you the webpage. The Web server log also may record information about your browser, such as your IP address, operating system type, browser type, domain, the cookies set on your browser by the server, the language your system uses and country and time zone in which your device is located.
• Geo-location technologies: Geo-location technology refers to technologies that permit us to determine your location. We may ask you to manually provide location information on our website, or to enable your mobile device to send us precise location information. We may also automatically collect general location information from your web browser.
We may use third party web analytics services on this site, our social media pages, or our social networking or mobile applications, such as those of Adobe Site Catalyst and/or Google Analytics. The service providers that administer these services use technologies such as cookies, web server logs and web beacons to help us analyze how visitors use the site. The information collected through these means (including IP address) is disclosed to these service providers, who use the information to evaluate use of the website. You may deactivate the ability of these analytics services to analyze your browsing activities on this site. To exercise your choice with respect to their collection of information on this site:
For Adobe Site Catalyst, please click here.
To disable Google Analytics, please download the browser add-on for the deactivation of Google Analytics provided by Google at http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout?hl=en. To learn more about privacy and Google Analytics please consult the Google Analytics overview provided by Google at: http://www.google.com/intl/en/analytics/privacyoverview.html.
We have implemented certain Google Analytics Advertising Features (Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting). You can opt out of the Google Analytics Advertising Features through Google Ad settings or by visiting https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/. We will use the data provided by Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting as described under “How We Use the Information We Collect”.
To disable other third party web analytics service provider cookies, some browsers indicate when a cookie is being sent and allow you to decline cookies on a case-by-case basis. You may also turn off cookies in your browser.
We may also use third-party platforms, including platforms operated by social networks, such as Google, Facebook and Pinterest, to show interest-based ads. We may convert your email address, telephone number or other information into a unique value which can be matched by those third parties with a user on their platform or with other data they may have collected from you. This matching allows interest-based ads to be delivered on those platforms. To opt-out of these ads, you must change your advertising preferences on those third-party platforms. These platforms may have their own privacy notices or policies, which we strongly suggest you review.
How We Use the Information Collected by Automated Means
We may use the information collected through automated means on this site for market research, data analytics and system administration purposes, such as to determine whether you’ve visited us before or are new to the site, and for compliance with our legal obligations, policies and procedures, including compliance with relevant industry standards and the enforcement of our Terms and Conditions. We also may use the information in other ways for which specific notice is provided at the time of collection.
Push Notifications and In-App Alerts and Updates
When you download one of our mobile applications, we may provide you with the option to opt in to receive push notifications from us on your mobile device in connection with that mobile application. These push notifications may include promotional communications regarding our products and services. You may, after downloading the applicable mobile application, opt out of receiving push notifications by adjusting the settings on your mobile device. Opting out of push notifications will not affect other communications you receive from us, such as email communications. You also may receive alerts and updates within our mobile applications regarding our products and services or your accounts with us. To opt out of receiving these alerts and updates, you may uninstall the applicable mobile application from your mobile device.
We do not rent lists, or sell or otherwise disclose personal information we collect about you, so as to permit those third parties to directly market to you. We may share your personal information with:
Our affiliates within the Estee Lauder Companies umbrella of companies
Third party service providers who perform services on our behalf based on our instructions. We do not authorize these service providers to use or disclose the information except as necessary to perform services on our behalf or comply with legal requirements. Examples of these service providers include entities that process credit card payments, fulfill orders, and provide web hosting, advertising and marketing services.
Third parties through social networks, widgets and plug-ins. If you use any features made available to you on our website by a third party it may result in information being collected or shared between us and the third party. For example, if you use Facebook’s “Like” feature, Facebook may register the fact that you “liked” us and may post that information on Facebook.
In addition, we may disclose information about you (i) if we are required to do so by law or legal process, (ii) to law enforcement authorities or other government officials, or (iii) when we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical harm or financial loss, or in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual fraudulent or illegal activity.
We offer you certain choices in connection with the personal information we collect from you, such as how we use the information and how we communicate with you. To update your preferences, ask us to remove your information from our mailing lists or submit a request, please contact us as specified below.
- Email Opt-Out
You can at any time tell us not to send you marketing communications by email by clicking on the unsubscribe link within the marketing emails you receive from us or by contacting us as indicated in the How to Contact Us section below. You also may opt out of receiving marketing emails from [AVEDA] Hong Kong by clicking here [email@example.com].
- Postal Mail Opt-Out
You can ask us to stop sending you marketing communications by postal mail by following the instructions that may be included in a particular promotion. You also can request that we refrain from sending you promotional postal mail by contacting us as indicated below.
- Social Networking Application Opt-Out
To remove or delete our apps from your social networking account, follow the instructions from the social network:
Facebook provided by the Facebook Help Center.
- Geo-Location Information
When you use one of our mobile applications, you may be asked for your geo-location via our mobile application. You may choose not to share your geo-location details by adjusting your mobile device’s location services settings. To decline from sharing your geo-location details, follow the instructions on your mobile device on changing the relevant settings; otherwise, please contact your service provider or device manufacturer.
- Withdrawing Consent
You may withdraw any consent you previously provided to us, or object at any time on legitimate grounds, to the processing of your personal information. We will apply your preferences going forward. In some circumstances, withdrawing your consent to our use or disclosure of your personal information will mean that you cannot take advantage of some of our products or services.
- Reviewing, Updating and Modifying Personal Information
Subject to applicable law, you may have the right to request access to and receive details about the personal information we maintain about you, update and correct inaccuracies in your personal data, and have the information blocked or deleted, as appropriate. The right to access personal information may be limited in some circumstances by local law requirements. You may request to review, change or delete your personal information by contacting us as indicated in the How to Contact Us section below.
We maintain appropriate administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect the personal information you provide against accidental, unlawful or unauthorized destruction, loss, alteration, access, disclosure or use. However, no security system is perfect and we cannot promise that information about you will remain secure in all circumstances, including the security of your data during transmission to us or the security of data on your mobile device.
Our website may provide links to other websites for your convenience and information. These websites may operate independently from us. Linked sites may have their own privacy notices or policies, which we strongly suggest you review if you visit any linked websites. To the extent any linked websites you visit are not owned or controlled by us, we are not responsible for the sites’ content, any use of the sites, or the privacy practices of the sites.